Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chapter 10 ~ An Eager Attitude ~ Her Work

Proverbs 31:17 "She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms."

Mrs. George begins this chapter with a question she asked a group of 100 ladies ~ "What keeps you from getting your housework done?" Their answers?
1. Poor use of time
2. Lack of motivation
3. Failure to plan
4. Procrastination

Well, sisters, I definitely can relate! Even though I'm blessed to stay at home, I must admit that I don't always use my time wisely. At times, I allow the father of lies to whisper discouragement and discontentment into my soul. I think, "I NEVER get a break! Even if I were to wash all the clothes, put the dishes away, and clean the house top to bottom, by that evening, there will be enough clothes for another load of laundry, another stack of dirty dishes, toys scattered, crumbs and paw prints on my freshly scrubbed floor and something all over the newly vacuumed carpet!" I mutter, "Why do I even bother?" as I put off cleaning the mold from the shower for yet another day. I feel frustrated when I realize that I didn't pull the meat out of the freezer in time to fix dinner for my family. Can anyone else empathize?

What does the Proverbs 31 woman do? I'm sure she must have had the same thoughts that I do, but she didn't reflect upon them. She understood that "she's on assignment from God to build a home and is therefore highly motivated." Remember her two sides, mentally tough (power of mind) and physically strong (power of body)? Without that mental strength ~ her attitude ~ she'd never get around to do the physical work!


Preparation for Work:
How does she get her work done? She girds herself. Back in ancient times, both men and women wore long, flowing tunics with a sash-like belt (girdle). When they had to "get to work" they stooped down, took the garment from the hem in the back, brought it between their knees, and tucked it in front, securing it in the girdle. (I picture it looking like MC Hammer's pants from the '80's! :) This action also was a "psychological trigger for her attitude... the action of gathering one's dress was key to preparing to act."
"She girds herself with strength". She has an unwavering commitment to work, and chooses (there's that word again!) to work hard! She is motivated and prepared.
"She strengthens her arms". Unlike the women of today, her arms weren't toned just to look good in a sleeveless shirt! This lioness of a lady is physically strong ~ capable and tireless!


Mrs. George paraphrases verse 17 as "When it comes to work, this woman who is beautiful in God's eyes is ready, willing, and able!" Her mental attitude is the key, and "that attitude reveals the following four qualities of the heart."
1. Commitment ~ Make a commitment to always be doing something ~ don't be sedentary. Proverbs 14:23 says, "In all labor there is profit"!
2. Willingness ~ "We may be able to commit to build our homes, serve our families and carry out God's plans, but we must also be willing to actually do it!"
3. Motivation ~ Remind yourself "Why am I doing this? What do I want for my life, my marriage, my family and my home?"
4. Discipline ~ Like the old saying goes, "Talk is cheap!" Proverbs 14:23b states, "Idle chatter leads only to poverty"! If I truly want to be like God's beautiful woman, I must discipline myself to do the tasks necessary to build my home. I need to get up and turn off the alarm, not hit snooze for another 15 minutes. I need to pull out the vacuum, not a book.


The How-To's of Beauty:
1. Embrace God's will for your life. This passage is God's perfect will for every woman! Yes, it's daunting and intimidating. Yes, it seems nearly impossible! But claim Matthew 19:26 ~ "With God, all things are possible" and Philippians 4:13 ~ "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".
2. Stay in God's Word. "Allow the Spirit of God to energize your heart, mind ~ and strength ~ through the power of God's Word."
3. Develop a vision. "Think for a moment about how your daily environment is a direct result of your vision for your home and family...."
4. Pray for an eager attitude. Psalm 118:24 states, "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Just think, sisters, we get another day to serve the Lord by serving and loving our family!
5. Create a schedule. Plan your work to work you plan. Remember that old adage ~ "Wash on Monday, iron on Tuesday, bake on Wednesday, brew on Thursday, churn on Friday, mend on Saturday, go to meeting on Sunday"? Well, we may not need to brew or churn, but our forerunners knew exactly what needed to be done and had a plan!
6. Develop a routine. If you have a routine, then you can go from one task to another effortlessly.
7. Read books on time management. Study organizational systems and make them work for you. Mrs. George writes, "Reading about time management will stimulate you r eager attitude and offer tips on improving your skills so that you, too, can excel in your work!"
8. Tackle the worst first. Don't dread it ~ just do it! With the tough stuff behind you, the more pleasant work's ahead.
9. Play music. I love putting on a praise & worship CD/DVD when I clean! The music helps get me moving, and the message of the songs remind me Who I'm working for!
10. Play "beat the clock". Try to better your time on completing certain tasks. If it normally takes you 30 minutes to mop your kitchen floor, try to do it in 25 minutes. That gives you 5 extra minutes to do something you enjoy!

Again, this post challenges me to put aside mySELF and put on the things of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment