Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chapter 2 ~ A Sparkling Jewel ~ Her Value

Proverbs 31:10b ~ "Her price is far above rubies."

I love these translations Mrs. George uses:

The Bible in Basic English: "Her price is much higher than jewels."
The American Standard Version: "Her worth is far above rubies."
New American Standard Bible: "Her value is far beyond pearls."
Old Testament Book of Poetry: "Far beyond corals is her worth."

Rubies: Did you know that the rich red ruby is a unique gem? In fact, large rubies are rare and surpass diamonds of equal weight in value!
Pearls: Pearl harvesters have to go through 35,000 pearl oysters to find 20 pearls. Only 3 of these pearls are of gem quality!
Coral: These delicate "flower animals" are widely protected (Great Barrier Reef) and only a few are quality enough to be polished and regarded as precious stones.

Do you notice a pattern here? Each jewel is rare AND valuable. They are difficult to come by and only a few are found. This mother's use of imagery must have made her son realize how extraordinary this woman of God would be! If he found her, she would be of "inestimable value"!

I don't know about you, but every once in a while, I go to a jewelry store and dream. My birthstone is a ruby, so I usually find that display case first! I love how the light captures the facets of the stone and makes the gold glimmer! Well, "...as God's beautiful woman, we are to be that sparkling jewel in our husband's life!"

One of the sweetest compliments the hubs ever gave to me was shortly after we got engaged. (We married later in life ~ I was 29 ~ he was 31.) We were sitting in my small apartment living room talking when I noticed that he kept looking around at the walls and stuff. When I questioned him about it, he said, "Shelly, I've lived alone for almost 13 years. The places I've lived have always had bare walls and were pretty sparse. When I look around and see the pretty pictures on the walls, smell the scent of the candles you've lit and hear the quiet music playing, I really feel like I'm at home. You've brought color and music into my life." The hubs usually isn't one to use flowery sentiment, but when he does, hoo, boy! How I love that man!

Mrs. George writes, "I am to supply beauty in the lives of my husband and children as we struggle through life together. I am to light up the home with sparkle no matter how hard times are." Hmm ~ that's one to file into the memory banks, isn't it?

So how do we do it? Here is the list of Mrs. George's "How-To's" of Beauty:

1. Grow in practical skills, such as:

a. Homemaking ~ I have several homemaking blogs I follow ~ the list is in my sidebar. I absolutely adore The Pioneer Woman! She always has the most incredible, yummiest-looking recipes on her site! She also has a homeschooling section that has suggestions and advice. I like Heritage Schoolhouse for her homeschooling tips and recipes. The Nesting Place and The Inspired Room are wonderful sites that give awesome decorating ideas.
b. Money management ~ We need to have a working knowledge of personal finances.
c. Time management ~ "Time is the most precious commodity God gives us, and He expects it to be redeemed ~ Colossians 4:5 ~ and used for his purposes. ~ Ephesians 2:10".

2. Grow in emotional stability. In her book, A Woman After God's Own Heart, Mrs. George wrote how the homemaker is the one who determines the general emotional atmosphere under her roof. In other words, we set the tone of our home! Right now, I'm asking myself ~ "Is my home restful? Fun? Loving?" Wow, what a responsibility we have! I now understand how that phrase "If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!" isn't just a joke, but a reality! Proverbs also sheds light on the woman who takes this kind of attitude. (Proverbs 12:4, 21:9 and 19, 25:24)

a. Master your tolerance, or endurance. Difficult circumstances and painful times are a part of all our lives. I love that old saying ~ "The grace of God will never lead you where the grace of God cannot keep you." Philippians 4:13 is one of the scriptures I claim when things seem insurmountable ~ "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"!
b. Master your temper ~ or the "heat of mind" and passion. Okay, ouch again! This one is my biggest struggles and has been for most of my life. I think the root of it (other than just my plain old sinful nature) is helplessness and inadequacy, but I'm not sure. That's a purty big can of worms to open! (Proverbs verses: 14:30, 19:2, 19:11 and 25:28)
c. Master your tongue. Can I just tell you that my toes are bleeding now? I think this is THE biggest struggle for all of us, and the root of this deadly sin is pride. It's the sin God hates most, according to Proverbs 6:16. (More Proverbs verses: 10:19, 15:28, 16:21 and 24, 31:26).

I'll close this post with a quote from Mrs. George. "Oh, dear one, God, our Master Craftsman, is holding your heart (and mine) in His hands. Will you look into His eyes, see His love for you, and choose to let Him do His purifying work? Will you yield to Him the flaws in your life that inhibit your "fire," your sparkle? Will you ask Him to help you not to succumb to any harmful emotions? And will you do your part to grow in emotional stability and polish your skills? These two traits ~ your character and the skills that reflect that character ~ are so desirable to Him and so valuable to others. Let God work His beauty process in you!"

1 comment:

  1. Again I am in awe of how you are using this blog to show your love for the Lord. I was touched when you spoke of the "hubs" feeling about feeling at home with you by the way you kept your apartment..not only sparkling clean, but with your talent of decorating so beautifully, and also the gift of hospitality. I do believe that he also enjoyed that you were an excellent cook, or as your dad used to say, "Well, well maybe that boy is hungry".
    You were the little princess of our home when you were growing up, and now you are the queen of your own home , with your prince charming, two litle princesses and your one little prince...By-the-way does this qualify me to be the "Grand Queen of Nanna Land"?
    God has blessed you so much, and it so blesses my heart to be able to call you my daughter, and to actually see how God is King and is working in your life and the lives of your family.

    ReplyDelete