Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Simple Home

As a full-time homemaker, my greatest desire is that my family finds our home to be a haven of rest, a place of peace, and where their spirits can be renewed.

As I've stated in previous posts, as homemakers, we control the atmosphere of our homes. In fact, our home is the only environment over which we have control. No matter what storms are taking place on the outside ~ whether physical or spiritual ~ our home should be a place of sanctuary.

In her book "The Simple Home", Sharon Hanby-Robie writes, "For most of us sanctuary is synonymous with simplicity. Creating the simple home is not only practical for everyday living but also vital to spiritual health."

Charles Keeler, a poet and playwright in 1906, wrote that "The ideal home is one in which the family may be most completely sheltered to develop in love, graciousness, and individuality, and which is at the same time most accessible to friends, toward whom hospitality is as unconscious and spontaneous as it is abundant. Emerson says that the ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it."

Not only do I want my home to be a place of soul~nourishment for my family, but a place where my friends feel welcomed.

My next posts will be about the purpose of a simple home, as well as decorating hints and my thoughts on hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment