Thursday, March 24, 2011

Salt

Disclaimer: This isn't a post about hospitality like I had planned. The Lord laid this on my heart early this morning. Hello. My name is Shelly ~ and I'm a die hard Food Network Junkie. I've been known to watch the Barefoot Contessa for an hour straight, even though I may have already seen the episode. I enjoy Paula Deen and Giada at Home. I actually bite my nails during Iron Chef and will admit that I've shed tears at the reveal during Restaurant Impossible. My kiddos love seeing how things are made on Unwrapped, and they absolutely adore Cupcake Wars. In fact, the hubs has been know to watch a little bit of "Triple D" (when nothing else was on, mind you!). My cooking as improved immensely ever since we had satellite installed ~ Food Network available. The hubs has even declared that it pays for itself because of the delicious, new dishes I've brought to the dinner table. I've picked up little tips and hints over that past years, but one that amazes me over and over is the use of ~ salt. Salt actually enhances and brings out the sweetness in sugar. I tried an amazing chocolate bar a few months ago that was a bittersweet chocolate laced with ~ of all things ~ sea salt. It was incredible! Salt also brings out the sugars in veggies, especially onions. I love sauteing onions in butter ~ there's nothing quite like that smell ~ and I add in a little pinch of salt. It causes the moisture in the onion to evaporate, and the natural sugars come out and caramelize the onion into tasty goodness! I also love roasting veggies, chicken breasts, and pork tenderloin with a mixture of salt, pepper, and olive oil. It's simply amazing what the salt does! I also have learned to toss in a good amount of salt when I'm boiling potatoes, rice, or pasta. None of these items have much flavor on their own, but when you add salt ~ flavor! Not only does salt season food, it also preserves food. I used quite a bit of pickling salt last summer during my pickle-making episode. I've seen Ina Garten use a rub of kosher salt and dill plus other spices to make gravlox. Salt can also used as an abrasive. Rachael Ray uses a bunch of coarse salt and garlic to make a garlic paste. I've seen Martha Stewart clean tarnished copper pans with a paste made of nothing but salt and a lemon wedge. Although inedible, rock salt melts the ice and keeps one from slipping on it. Salt. Who would have thought? Something so inexpensive and readily available can improve almost anything! I've now become a bit of a "Salt Snob". I have four different types of salt in the cabinet right now. Regular table salt ~ I bake and finish foods with it. Kosher salt ~ I cook with it all the time. Pickling salt ~ umm ~ I make pickles with it. I've also used it in baking since it dissolves so quickly. Coarse sea salt ~ I finish dishes with it when I want a salty bite, like on the crust of Chicken Pot Pie. As I did my little study on salt and its uses, the Lord reminded me of his command from the Sermon on the Mount. (Matthew 5:13) "Ye are the salt of the earth; but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." Also, the Apostle Paul wrote in his epistle (Colossians 4:6) "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." That got me to thinking, "What kind of salt am I?" First of all, only the genuinely born-again person is salt and can help meet the needs of the world. Just as salt adds flavoring, acts as a preservative, melts coldness and heals wounds, we are called to do the same. Which brings me back to the question ~ What kind of salt am I? Do I enhance and bring out the sweetness of Christ in my life? Do I add a liveliness/flavor? Do I warm people, or leave them out in the cold? Are my words wholesome and encouraging? or am I too abrasive? If I "loose my savor", then I loose my effectiveness as a Christian. My "testimony will be trampled under the feet of men." So, my dear sister, "What kind of salt are you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment