Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Meal Planning and More

One of the most important responsibilities of being a homemaker is to prepare nourishing, healthy meals for our family. As a bride, I was excited to cook for my new husband. However, as the years progressed, the excitement wore off. I was tired of the regularity of our evening meals, even though I had well over a month's worth of recipes. I also wanted to be more creative than having the usual cereal for breakfast and mac-n-cheese for lunch!

Answer to prayer ~ The Food Network! My favorite TV chefs are Paula Deen & Ina Garten. Also, the Internet! I love, love love Ree Drummond, a.k.a. "The Pioneer Woman". All of these women prepare what I call regular food ~ delicious, simple food that doesn't involve expensive ingredients or wierdo combinations.

The above-mentioned women were home cooks that expanded to businesses. Paula started her own catering service called "The Bag Lady". Ina bought a specialty food shop/catering business, and became known as "The Barefoot Contessa". Ree began a simple blog to share her daily experiences on a ranch, but has burst out on the scene with her own successful cookbook and new novel. Now these women enjoy cooking for the sheer pleasure of it!

I'm always in search of a new recipe, or a new way to do things to make my cooking better. I've learned through Ina that roasting food makes the flavors richer and concentrated. (Her recipe for roasted onions is amazing!) Paula has several recipes that have now become some of my family's favorites, such as her Mashed Baked Potatoes, and Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler, to name a couple. Ree's Chocolate Sheet Cake and 4-Cheese Pasta are incredible!

Since the hubs gets paid every other week, I have to shop accordingly. The Thursday before, I sit down with cookbooks, printed recipes off the web, and my recipe box. I do my best to incorporate what I have on hand first as I choose 14 dishes for supper, breakfast, and lunch. I plan on 2 desserts per week and 2 appetizers for us to munch on Sunday evenings ~ our large meal is at lunchtime. Since our weekends are now open (Upward Basketball and Cheerleading are over for the season) I'll plan 2 "big" breakfasts as well.

After the meals are chosen, I write down everything I need to prepare them. I also try to plan easier meals for our busiest evenings ~ things I can make ahead or stick right into the oven. I write them down on a calendar, but I don't make a big deal of it. If I happen to cook Wednesday's meal on a Monday, it's totally okay.

Here's my menu for this week 2/27-3/5:

2/27 B: Cereal, Fruit, Milk (Our norm for Sundays.)
L: We were able to eat out at our favorite Mexican restaurant, Casa. Yummy!
D: Popcorn ~ we were still full from Casa!

2/28 B: Cereal Bars, Fruit, Yogurt
L: PBJ Sandwich, Fruit, Water
D: Pizza, Salad

3/1 B: Waffles, Fruit, Milk
L: Leftover Pizza, Carrots w/ dip, Water
D: Meatloaf, Mac-n-Cheese, Green Beans, Water

3/2 B: Cereal, Fruit, Milk
L: Mini Ravioli, Fruit, Water
D: Chicken Pot Pie, Green Salad, Strawberry Jello w/ fresh whipped cream topping

3/3 B: Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Milk
L: Mac-n-Cheese, Fruit, Water
D: Tuna Noodle Casserole, Peas, Water

3/4 B: Blueberry Muffins, Fruit, Yogurt
L: Turkey & Cheddar Sandwich, Fruit, Water
D: Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Mixed Veggies, Chocolate Pudding, Water

3/5 B: Cereal, Fruit, Milk
L/D: We'll be in Kansas City all day for the annual AWANA games, so we'll be eating out.

No comments:

Post a Comment