Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Mother-in-Law's Breakfast Casserole

My wonderful mother-in-law made this breakfast for my husband & I when we came for a visit many years ago. She generously wrote out this recipe for me, and it has been one of my main "go-to" breakfasts for almost 14 years!

1 package unseasoned stuffing cubes
1 lb. sausage, cooked & drained
1/2 c. sliced mushrooms (small can)
2 c. grated Cheddar cheese
1/4 c. finely minced onion, sauteed in 1 T butter
1 T. chives
3/4 c. cream
1 1/4 c. milk
6 eggs
1 t. mustard
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Place half of croutons on the bottom, then layer the sausage, cheese, onions, and mushrooms. Combine the cream, milk, eggs, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chives, salt and pepper into a blender. Pulse until mixture is completely incorporated. Pour over the layers in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool for about 10 minutes, then cut into squares and serve.

You can substitute bacon or ham for the sausage, or use a mixture of the three. You can also make it vegetarian by adding a variety of peppers or mushrooms.

I usually serve this with my fruit salad and a glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment