Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hospitality ~ A Life That Says "Welcome"!

Within the last year, the Lord has placed a desire in my heart to become more hospitable. I think there are many reasons why hospitality is no longer practiced like it was back in the day. First of all, we've become so busy that we barely have time together as families! Secondly, it's just downright intimidating! I know that some people feel the need to reciprocate, but they don't think that their house is clean/large enough to accommodate visitors. Some may believe they lacking the skills ~ in other words, they're not like Martha Stewart! After all, she is the "Domestic Diva"!

Through careful study and reading several hospitality books, I've realized that hospitality isn't entertaining! Karen Ehman writes, "Entertaining puts emphasis on you and how you can impress others. Offering hospitality puts the emphasis on others and strives to meet their physical and spiritual needs so that they feel refreshed, not impressed, when they leave your home."

With the desire to become more hospitable, I began to search the Internet for Christian-themed hospitality blogs. "Comfy in the Kitchen" is my favorite! (Her button is in my sidebar.) This young wife and mother truly has a heart for hospitality. She makes healthy, nourishing meals to bless other families. Her amazing meals are delivered to those in need, new moms, and families who are ill. I'm touched by her sincere desire to "give... a cup of cold water to one of these little ones (those who may not get noticed) because he is my disciple...." (NIV)

I also admire the fact that she isn't so busy doing all these things that she neglects her family. They receive the same yummy meal, plus she's teaching her young children to be hospitable as well.

Tomorrow I'll post some of the ideas of hospitality the Lord has laid on my heart. For now, remember: "Let us not love only in word... but in deed and in truth." (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment