Monday, July 19, 2010

In a Pickle!

Yay, SUCCESS! My first attempt at canning pickles went well! I made 4 quarts of kosher dill pickles, and 6 pints of bread & butter pickles.

First of all, can I tell you that it was a LOT of WORK! I didn't realize the time it would take, nor the amount of pots, pans, bowls and burners I would use! I didn't have a bowl big enough to mix the ingredients for the bread & butter pickles, so I scoured my sink and used it instead. One side of the sink was filled with slices of cucumbers & onions, garlic, ice, and salt to set for 3 hours. In the meantime, I filled the canner with water and got that heating as well as another saucepan for the brine for the bread & butter pickles. The canner was so large that it took up 2/3 of the space on my stove! Still another pan was to simmer the lids & rims and another to boil water to cover the jars. I also ran the jars on the rinse cycle of the dishwasher to sterilize them. Needless to say, it was getting quite warm in the kitchen! Oh, did I fail to mention that the heat index for the day was 109? Humidity city!

I didn't have enough dill seed for the kosher dills, so I ended up having to spend 3 dollars (yes, you read it right!) for a package of fresh dill. Note for future reference ~ grow the dill myself! I had to juggle pans to make my brine for the kosher dills, and use the other sink to rinse, chop & slice the cucumbers into spears.

I packed the quart jars with cucumber spears, a clove of garlic, red pepper flakes, and the "best dill you can ever buy"! I processed the kosher dills successfully while I was waiting for the cucumbers & onions to drain. I was gratified to hear the familiar "pop" of the jar lids, and put the now-ready cucumber & onion slices into the sweet, hot brine. Once they boiled, I filled the pint jars and processed them. Six "pops" later, I cleaned up the mess and stood back to admire my labor of love. Glistening jars of verdant green koshers and a satisfying shade of yellow-green bread & butters graced my kitchen counter.

Although it was work, it was fun! I enjoyed the remembered scents of my mom's canning era now wafting around my kitchen. I still have to wait a week until I can taste-test my efforts, so I'll share my judgement then.

This little foray into the canning world was great for me. In fact, I hope to have a garden of my own next summer. I want to grow my own onions, lettuce, carrots, red peppers, tomatoes, green beans, peas, and cucumbers to can. I also want to grow herbs like chives, Italian flat-leaf parsley, basil, and dill to season my foods. I'd also like to grow lavender, sweet peas, and pansies to garnish and decorate with. How fun this is!

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, so glad that your first adventure at canning was a success. It is hard work, but so rewarding. Now about the garden you want to plant....there is where the REAL WORK is. It will keep you very busy with planting, weeding, watering, pinching blooms, and then dong the same thing all over again time after time. Wait until the beans start coming on...seems at times you never want to see another bean. But again, after all of the canning and freezing you can sit back and see the fruits of your harvest and the hard work and the love you have put into it. Those were some of the happiest days that I will always remember.

    I am proud of you!!!
    Love you,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! I'm SO excited! How fun - and oh girl, I love me some bread & butter pickles. What GREAT success!

    Your garden next year sounds great - we should "garden" together! I need some inspiration. =)

    ReplyDelete