Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Favorite "Mommy Books"

What, you may ask, are "Mommy books"? The Mommy books I own are ones that encourage me, give practical ideas for my relationship with the kiddos, offer sound Biblical advice, and keep me in touch with what's going on so I can protect my children.

"Hide and Seek" by Dr. James Dobson and "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp are books I turn to time after time.

One of my favorite books that talks about raising my daughters is called "Your Girl: Raising a Godly Daughter in an Ungodly World" by Vicki Courtney. Vicki, the founder of Virtuous Reality Ministries and Yada Yada Events tackles issues (like counteracting the culture, self~worth, purity, modesty, bullying, and preparing our daughters for spiritual battle) with wisdom and humor. Beth Moore is quoted as "A must read for every daughter's mother." Definitely a great resource!

Another is "Mom's Everything Book for Daughters" by Becky Freeman. This book offers reading for the mom, then incorporates "Chick Chat" where you spend time talking and building your relationship, "Just for Fun", where you do an activity together, and a "God, Mom, and Me" time where you read Scripture together and study what it means. Chapters titles include "The Wind Beneath Her Wings or the Gum Beneath Her Shoes? ~ Bonding with Your Daughter for a Lifetime", "Lip Gloss, Hair Gel, and Toe Rings ~ Having Fun with Outer Beauty", and "Homemaking 911 ~ Helping Your Daughter Create a Home of Beauty, Love, and Laughter". I love this book!

For modesty issues, Dannah Gresh's "Secret Keeper Girl ~ 8 Great Dates for You and Your Daughter" is wonderful! This packet includes a book for Mom, a Secret Keeper diary for the Daughter, and a CD that has insights from Rebecca St. James. The "dates" include a pampering tea party, a shopping mall challenge and a dress~up date that includes dad. Awesome book!

For my son, I've read Vicki Courtney's companion book, "Your Boy". It goes along the same lines as her book for girls, yet gives the mom insight on how girls' modesty affects boys. Very eye-opening and perceptive!

Becky Freeman also wrote a companion book "Mom's Everything Book for Sons". I want to purchase that book very much!

Lastly, Dr. Dobson's books, "Raising Boys" and "Raising Girls" is on my to~buy list.

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT list - thanks - I'm bookmarking it and going to look through several of these. I SO need some Mother-Daughter books right now!!!

    ReplyDelete