Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Making a House a Home ~ Creating an Atmosphere

We all know this verse in Proverbs ~ "Every wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her hands." Have you ever wondered ~ like me ~ what does it mean, exactly?

The verb "to build" actually means to make and to set up a house. This doesn't just imply the physical structure and upkeep of the house, but also to the family. That got me to thinking ~ how much more do I spend my time building (the upkeep) my house instead of building (nurturing) my family?

"Although the Hebrew word for "house" and "home" is the same, "home" is the preferred word here. This verse... speaks of home building; the knitting together of family and the day-by-day routine of creating a happy and comfortable place for a family to live." (Robert Alden)

I am the one who sets the mood and maintains the atmosphere inside my home. To be wise, like the verse above challenges, I have to diligently and purposefully create that atmosphere. I can't just hope it will happen on its own.

In her book "A Woman After God's Own Heart", Elizabeth George states that creating the atmosphere in our home is like using your thermostat to regulate the temperature inside your home. As the home manager, we are that thermostat, and we have the responsibility to set the ideal, comfortable temperature for our family.

Do I want the atmosphere to be warm, cheerful, loving, positive, and constructive? Then I must get my heart temperature right first! How can I possibly give away what I don't possess? Choosing to get up earlier to spend time alone with the Lord will help me to cultivate a heart like His.

Now, I have to "go to work to maintain the comfort in my home." Mrs. George writes, "If things start to get hot (hot words, hot tempers, hot emotions), I {must} set about to bring in cooling, soothing words ("a soft answer turns away wrath" ~ Proverbs 15:1) and words of peace ("the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace" ~ James 3:18).

Likewise, if things start to cool off (cold hearts, cold feet, cold shoulders), I {must} go to work giving a good word which makes hearts glad (Proverbs 12:25), remembering that "a merry heart makes a cheerful countenance: (Proverbs 15:13) and that "he who is of a merry heart has a continual feast" (Proverbs 15:15)."

Even through life's many challenges, my prayer is that God will give me the heart, wisdom and the words to create a healthy atmosphere in my home!

1 comment:

  1. I like this! Our attitudes do so totally set the atmosphere in our homes, don't they? Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete