Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Favorite Hospitality Books

Hospitality is an area I struggle with. Although I love to have people over, it seems that nowadays, everyone has such busy schedules that it's difficult to get together! Also, I've found (at least in our area) that people go out to restaurants together more than they fellowship in one another's homes. That usually leaves us out because eating out is SO expensive!

During my childhood and teen years, I remember my mother inviting other families over for dinner and get-togethers. During special holidays, there were always extra places reserved for college students who couldn't get home, families who may not have had enough money to have their own feasts, as well as the "significant others" in mine and my older brothers' relationships.

Well, sisters, I say we return to the "old ways"! What better way to let people realize how much you care by preparing a nourishing meal and planning a fun time to spend together?

In Karen Ehman's book, "A Life That Says Welcome: Simple Ways to Open Your Heart & Home to Others", Karen encourages the reader to look for someone to be hospitable with, then take the steps to actually DO IT! This books gives great ideas for dinners and parties, cleaning and decorating tips and even recipes. I LOVE this book!

Karen also penned another book with her friends Kelly Hovermale and Trish Smith. "Homespun Memories for the Heart" is a great source for making your home special for your family. There are more than 200 ideas to "make unforgettable moments". The book is divided by sections to celebrate the seasons, birthdays, milestones such as weddings, anniversaries and adoptions, celebrating our faith and even the everyday. They've included tags, labels, certificates and coupons, too. A fabulous book!

Jane Jarrell has 2 books I've enjoyed. My favorite is "Love You Can Touch". Chapter titles include "New Neighbor", "Just Because You're My Friend", and "Children Going Off to School". Each chapter gives tips for a meal or treat, as well as how to package it. This book is fun!

Her other book is entitled "Simple Hospitality". Jane defines hospitality with an acrostic.

H ~ Hospital for the Soul
O ~ Obedience
S ~ Simplicity
P ~ Prayer
I ~ Intimacy
T ~ To go
A ~ Acknowledge and Appreciate
L ~ Lifestyle
I ~ Ideas
T ~ Time
Y ~ You

She has great chapters like "Faking Homemaking" and "The Kitchen Magician". Wonderful read!

My last book is entitled "Heavenly Hospitality" by Jo Ann Janssen. Practical ideas on organization, welcoming unexpected guests, dinner parties, feeding large crowds and making overnight guests feel pampered and welcome are in this book. I really love it!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe we can practice our hospitality on each other when you move this way!

    ReplyDelete