Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Ministry ~ Motherhood!

As Christians, we all desire to have a close, true relationship with our Savior. Along with spending time in the Word and going into my prayer closet, I read certain blogs that challenge me spiritually and remind me of God's goodness and grace. I don't know about you, sisters, but whenever I hear a beautiful worship song about God's power and His Truth, or read Scripture about God's infinite mercy and love, I weep with joy!

It hasn't always been that way for me, though. I didn't really "fall in love with the Lord" until 6 years ago. As I've stated in a previous post, I grew up in a Christian home. When Sunday morning rolled around, the only option was Sunday School and morning worship services. I loved the Bible stories as a young girl and always strove to memorize my verse for the week. Then the early teen years came along, filled with angst and emotion! I was always trying to fit in, but going to church became sheer torture, because a certain girls' clique was intent to make my life miserable. Needless to say, I didn't get much out church from age 13-16 until we attended another. However, by then, I had the Christian "thing" down.

Yes, I was a Christian, but I never knew "how" to be one. I could talk the talk with the best of them, but my walk was sadly lacking. My growing up years were managed by a list of rules that I had to follow to be a good Christian ~ "Don't drink, smoke, dance, wear pants, have sex, or go to movies." I knew I supposed to read my Bible, but how? How did one "study" the Bible? It was at least 10 years ago that I learned how to pray ~ praise, adoration, thanksgiving, intercession, and supplication.

Then it happened! I gave birth to my daughter, and suddenly, I became responsible to lead her to the faith! Now I am the blessed mother of three, and I want my children to have an "unwavering, internal moral and spiritual compass that will help them weather today's storms and tomorrow's and will guide them for the rest of their lives." They will "need the authentic strength that comes from the true foundation of a biblical world view and a proper understanding of the real Christ who is worthy of their worship. The also need to see what real faith looks like when lived day in, day out, so they will have a pattern to follow."

God has entrusted the hubs and I with three precious little souls to minister to, as well as influence for His kingdom. Spiritual and emotional maturity won't just happen to my children simply because I wish it to be so. It won't happen just because I show an example of being good. "Effective spiritual, emotional, and social training in the lives of my children would have to be both intentional and planned." This is where discipling comes into play.

Jesus spent 3 1/2 years teaching and training (mostly) unlearned men to carry on His work. When Jesus died, they were fearful and were in hiding. Even after He resurrected, the disciples went fishing, forgetting all that the Lord had taught them. It wasn't until after the Great Commission and Pentecost that they were filled with the Holy Spirit and were bold in their faith. Acts 4:13 says, "Now when they {the Sadducees} saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marveled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus." Acts 17:6 refers Christians as "These that have turned the world upside down."

That's my desire for my kids. I want them to take hold of the faith and never let go. I want them to carry on the work. I want them to have boldness and be willing to turn the world upside down for Christ. I want Christ to be real in their lives and hearts. I want them to have that abundant, wonderful life in Jesus. And what do I want to give to my children that God's so freely given to me? Grace, love, a sense of purpose, and faith in Him.

Mrs. Clarkson's model for motherhood ministry is GIFTS:
1. Gift of Grace ~ "We model grace by extending it to our children but also by insisting that they learn to extend it to others."
2. Gift of Inspiration ~ "The desire and ability to view all of life in the light of God's sovereignty and purpose."
3. Gift of Faith ~ "This gift is given by teaching the faith and by modeling what it means to live in faith, trusting God for our needs."
4. Gift of Training ~ "It's not just telling children how to live, not just modeling right behavior, but repeating these lessons with patience and perseverance until they become part of their lives."
5. Gift of Service ~ "The desire and ability to minister God's grace and truth to others."

Tomorrow I will be posting about the gift of grace.

1 comment:

  1. Good job.....I can already see the results in your children.

    ReplyDelete