Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering 9/11

I'll always remember that Tuesday morning.  Tweenager was just a baby back then ~ and I was still in my first trimester with Bubby.  In the midst of folding laundry and hearing "Sesame Street" in the background, the hubs called and told me that an airplane had flown into the North Tower.  I immediately flipped to the early morning news show, and sat horrified as I witnessed the second plane slam into the South Tower.  Even though they were trying to be professional, the news anchors were visibly shaken as they announced that America was under attack. 

I'll always remember the look on President Bush's face as he was informed of the breaking news.  In recent interviews, he admitted the feeling of rage and sorrow he felt at that moment, and at the same time, trying to keep it neutral so that he wouldn't upset the children surrounding him.

I'll always remember the sight of the buildings crashing down upon themselves, and horrified people running for their lives.  I'll always remember the looks of terror, devastation, and sorrow.  I'll always remember Mayor Giuliani walking around his city, asking people if they were okay.

I'll always remember seeing the Pentagon ~ the symbol of our military might ~ with a smoldering, gaping hole in its side ~ people again, fleeing in terror, running for their lives.

I'll always remember seeing the fiery, charred remains of an airplane in Pennsylvania.

I'll always remember feeling shocked and appalled that this would happen to MY country.  This was the USA.  No one ever messes with us, I reasoned.  What will become of us?  What will happen?  Will there be even more attacks?

Then, in the midst of the darkness, a song.  I'll always remember how Congress stood on the steps of the Capitol and sang "God Bless America". 

I'll always remember President Bush's telling us about the attacks.  The resolute, firm determination in his voice ~ in spite of the tears in his eyes ~ made me proud of my President and my country.

I'll always remember President Bush with the bull horn on Ground Zero saying, "I hear you, the world hears you, and pretty soon the people who did this will be hearing you."

I'll always remember the service where Franklin Graham spoke, reminding us that God didn't just "let" this injustice happen.  It happened because of sin.  All mankind were sinners, needing a Savior.

I'll always remember how fierce and determined the American Spirit was and is.  I'll always remember how we, as a nation, finally seemed to realize that we were, in fact, completely dependent on God.

I'll always remember.

1 comment:

  1. Shel - this was beautifully written. I got tears in my eyes reading it. I remember a few months later when the "shock & awe" campaign started and we were sitting in a McDonald's watching it on TV together. It was something we can never forget - not for those who lost their lives, and not for our children who need to know their story!

    ReplyDelete